Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Newly discovered random facts

I just found out yesterday that my dad used to be a pin boy! When he was about sixteen, but only for a few months because he claims the job was very dangerous due to flying pins. Like being a fighter pilot or spy. Not for the faint of heart.
He also told me that duckpin is different from candlepin and was the most popular type of bowling in Rhode Island when he was a pin boy. They use the small balls but the pins are fatter on the bottom half - like a squatting duck. Seems like I should have been able to figure that out, but I always thought candlepin and duckpin were the same.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! my new-england-champ-candlepin friend was telling me about duck pins... I am curious if there is still a duckpin bowling lane around... or maybe they have gone the way of the drive-in movie theatre...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should ask the guys at Sacco's if they know anything about Duckpin. Maybe we could get them to, you know, set up a lane of duckpin for us. Unfortunately, Massachusetts does not seem to be one of the "ten duckpin bowling states". Maryland appears to be the heart of the sport. Road trip, anyone?
    I bought a neet book about Central Square, published by the Cambridge Historical Society, which has a two-page feature on Sacco's. I need to photocopy it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you get your champeeen friend to come some Wednesday and give us some pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. patrick "clem" malloyMarch 21, 2005 at 3:35 AM

    Justine Curley!!!!!!!!! If this is you, it's patrick.. I've been trying to find you, It's been ages. I've been out of the country for a while, and I'm back in Boston, (temporarily. god willing.)
    write back., heavyshanti@hotmail.com
    bye-
    P.

    ReplyDelete