Monday, October 20, 2008

Finally, One for Myself

I've made a bunch of these beer cozies this summer and have given them as presents to people we stayed with on our road trip. Recently I made one for Dan for his birthday. Finally, I have gotten around to making one for myself. I used two kinds of sock yarn I had left over and some leftover mohair. I ran out of mohair before the top ribbing and had to change needles, but I like the way it turned out.

I started making these from a pattern in the book Knitting With Balls, but since the first cozies I have improved the pattern from the book a lot. I keep meaning to write up a nice how-to. This one is Berliner-sized for gigantic beer bottles.

2 comments:

  1. Can you give me hint as to how you improved their pattern?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miriam, sorry I didn't notice this comment earlier.
    I take a number 4 crochet hook and crochet a circle for the bottom. When it's big enough, I pick up the 36 stitches from the edge of the crocheted circle with dpns and knit the cylinder in the round. It fits a lot nicer on the bottle.
    Another good thing to do is change to smaller needles for the top ribbing so that it fits more snugly on the top of the bottle. For this one, I used US 2s for the top ribbing and 4s for the rest.

    ReplyDelete