Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bust

I haven't done any kind of sculpture in a long time, so I decided to kind of get my chops back by doing a very small bust of Vigo in clay. I plan to use this project to teach myself some things about making molds. The only kind I know how to make now are plaster molds that can only make one piece because you have to break the mold to get your sculpture out. I'd like to learn how to use something else and make a little series in different materials to see how they compare. This is also an exercise in documentation which has always been a weak spot for me.

I've only sat down to this piece three times so far. The light in our apartment is not so great, so I have to work on it on weekends, in the daytime or I really can't see what the hell I'm doing. The other hindrance I have is that we don't have a high table or stool for me to put the piece on, so I end up working on it in uncomfortable positions. I have a serious kink in my neck right now. My main problem is that I'm just out of practice. Luckily, I'm not in any big hurry to finish this project.

Here are a couple pictures in chronological order of the work in progress. The last two are from today. You can see I didn't leave off on a high spot, but my neck was killing me!



No comments:

Post a Comment