Thursday, October 6, 2005

My first Cables

cable baby poncho10.jpg

This is the baby poncho I'm making for little Lucas, to learn how to knit cables. The pattern is from a Norwegian book of baby knits from Sandnes Lanette Superwash (number 9). I'm using CascadeYarns 100% Superwash Wool 100g yarn color 850.


The first thing I needed to do was to find out how to knit cables. I went online and found a good written explanation, and a video. (I think Beth posted about these videos months ago.)
Next, I made myself a cable needle by bending a hair pin.
cable needle02.jpg
This is the chart I have to follow.
cable baby poncho09.jpg
I knit about 15 rows, but something was terribly wrong. The simpler cables were coming out all right, except for one small mistake where I knit when I should have purled.
cable baby poncho07.jpg
But the more complicated cables looked just terrible.
cable baby poncho05.jpg
Finally, I figured out that I was reading the chart backwards. It's obvious, of course, but I hadn't realized that I had to read the odd-numbered lines of the chart from right to left and the even rows from left to right.
I took out all of my 1,980 finished stitches, and started over. This time I numbered the lines of the chart, writing the odd numbers on the right side and the even numbers on the left. I'm also using a mini-post-it note to underline the row I'm in the process of knitting.
And this is how that chart translates into fuzzy green reality.
toys07400cable.jpg

4 comments:

  1. well the finished product is absolutely wonderful. i am totally impressed. i think you officially count as somewhere higher on the master knitter chart than i do. i need to go back and figure out my mistake on the baby suit i am making now, so i can move on to mittens. you have inspired me.
    macky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, and impressive.
    Not in any way a comment on this, but just because it's funny: youknitwhat.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I just posted about that before reading your comment! Where did you see it?
    It's a small internet after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,
    Absolutely, fucking, amazing!! I am so proud. I have got to have that book! Heather

    ReplyDelete