Friday, September 30, 2005

Cable Cast On

cable baby poncho24.jpg

I just started a a baby poncho with cables. After making a swatch to check my gauge, I decided that I didn't like the edge left by my regular cast on. It's too loose and loopy. So I went to The Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley to find a better-looking edge.

(I use this book almost every time I do a project. It's totally no-frills and the instructions and illustrations are utterly comprehensible. It's detailed and fairly complete. The chapter on casting on has detailed descriptions of 54 different variations.)

I chose the cable cast on. It's tidy and tight and makes a clean edge. For detailed instructions how to do it, click on "continue reading."

Cable Cast On
cable baby poncho13.jpg
1. Start with your regular old slip knot.
cable baby poncho14.jpg
2. Hold the needle with the slip knot in your left hand (unless your're left-handed, in which case reverse). Put the right-hand needle through the slip knot loop and knit a new loop.
cable baby poncho15.jpg
3. Slip the loop from the right-hand needle onto the left-hand needle.
cable baby poncho16.jpg
4. Now, slip the right-hand needle behind the loop you just made.
cable baby poncho19.jpg
cable baby poncho20.jpg
5. Knit another new loop
cable baby poncho21.jpg
6. And slip it onto the left-hand needle.
Continue steps 4-6 until youo have cast on your desired number of loops.

No comments:

Post a Comment